This Blog is no longer active...

Bokeh

I am excited! If you know me you know I'm not one to feel that way often.
I found out the name of something that I didn't even know had a name!
My favourite photos are those with a shallow Depth of Field, meaning the intended is in focus but the rest of the photo is blurred. Not only blurred but with Bokeh...Depending on the lens it can be waves or dots or swirls, etc...I love it! And now I know what it is.

Bokeh (derived from Japanese, a noun boke, meaning "blur" or "haze") is a photographic term referring to the æsthetic quality of the out-of-focus areas of an image produced by a camera lens using a shallow depth of field. Essentially, bokeh is an aesthetic and qualitative measure of light distortion in the out-of-focus areas of an image, and is primarily caused by lens aberrations and aperture shape.

Here is my photo with it in the background...

...and a couple of my favourites, and better examples, from Flickr...

From C-L-K ~ (Taking a break)'s photostream

From brightdawns' photostream

As you can see the results are fabulous! So artistic. So beautiful.
xoxox

3 comments:

AppaloosaMoon said...

...Bokeh...is beautiful...

Brightcetera said...

I love the effect of bokeh as well but since I only use auto mode, i don't know how to achieve it.
perhaps i should finally take my camera out of weenie mode and experiment a little.
your header photo was bokeh-ed all along!

Grey Lemon said...

Really nice bokeh with the automn light and colors! Beautiful!!