This Blog is no longer active...

Green Monsteress

Last week I had an epiphany of the nastiest sorts.

Jealousy.


Worse. Jealous of a very dear friend.

But it was something that made me raise my head and and look around.

What? What? What? I want what?

A style. A fashion style. My friend has it in spades. I go around in the same thrift store bought, baggy bum jeans, thermal long sleeve shirts, tank tops, cardigans, wool socks and big chunky winter hiking boots. I wear this all the time because it is conducive to my lifestyle. I am outside a lot taking photos so I need warm boots with thick soles. I go to dirty places and get dirty so I wear things that wash easily. My boyfriends car is his work "truck" filled with the tools and the dust elephants of his carpenter trade, so a nice black wool jacket wouldn't be the best traveling choice.

But....

As I was watching her pack, for a little trip to our nations capital in celebration of her birthday, I was green. She tried on colourful wool coats with amazing sweater dresses and leggings...The hats and scarves and gloves were soft and pretty and matching...The boots and bags finished me. I won't even speak of the make-up, the subtle sheen of eyeliner and silky velvet of quality powder...

So what will I do with this epiphany you ask?

A mini wardrobe make-over!

First I will assess and restyle my own clothes. Then...I think I'll go shopping. I need a pair of brown, round toe boots. Which I'll have to save to buy. >:| The rest I'll find at a thrift store, with a focused idea of the me I want to sometimes present to the world...My style is a little more relaxed and eccentric, less trend based. I love layers. I love altered. I love handmade!

Here are some of my inspirations from Anthroplogie. Luckily a lot of these looks can be fashioned out of thrift store finds, with a little creativity and elbow grease.



I will be making and wearing a version of that Zebra!
xo

7 comments:

MrsLittleJeans said...

One should always have a well-dressed friend to get ideas from, and a tall friend to walk tall next too, and a fun friend to...and a.... And I like your idea of getting ideas from Anthro and shopping elsewhere. That store is way way way too expensive. The scientist in me constantly rebels when I match quality with price. : ) It sounds like you have a fun project to turn your pink and rosy. Have a great day!

Andy Quirks said...

I agree Mrs. Little Jeans!
Plus you're not jealous Andrea, just inspired! Good luck with the make-over!

andyquirks.blogspot.com

Good Girls Studio said...

Can't wait to see your version of the zebra shirt! Style is ever evolving my deary, don't sweat the details :)

Unknown said...

Oooh I love it, love it, love it! The worst part about living out in the middle of no where is that there is no fashion! The thrift store is full of nothing! So I love your idea and can't wait to see what you accomplish. I hope you will come back and show us? Once every few years I save up and hit the Niagara (NY) fashion outlets like a mad woman. Sigh, I want to go now!!! AND I got a gift card for christmas there, so perhaps it will soon be time!

Tammy said...

I say hooray for a little make-over!! It's always fun to dress up in something a little different from the norm....it's the girl in us that loves that crap. :) The zebra is toooo cute. :)

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your creativity!
Good luck with the makeover :)

Torilpia said...

Lots of nice outfits .. :o)
I recognize the feeling - that's for sure .. When friends or family dress up in all kinds of beautiful clothes .. I wear the same old stuff .. Guess it's more of a weight-issue for me. Don't like to buy new clothes to this version of me ..
Anyway .. I'm looking forward to see your Zebrashirt.

Lots of love and hugs!